PamGodwin

PamGodwin

The Missing Chapters - Chasta Schneider This is more than a sexy celebrity love story. It reminded me of Tina Reber's LOVE UNSCRIPTED, but this one is way better written and heavy with ominous textures. CS excels at portraying the raw sensitivity that Kellan, the gorgeous actor, has about his recently scarred face. You're also introduced immediately to the horrific memories that Jessica, the famous writer, carries from her scary past. This up front communication is what I love most about this H/h relationship. From the moment they meet, they are refreshingly open with one another and this honesty is sustained throughout the story. The majority of the novel is a performance of their growing love. Theirs is an organic growth, tested by the hardships of stardom, the on-the-road lifestyle, and the newness of reciprocated trust. If it weren't for the foreboding prologue, one might think this is a skip-through-the-park-la-dee-da-hearts-and-kittens kind of story. That is, until about 75% in, the dark prologue which has been prowling in the shadows of this sweet little fantasy, finally escapes. CS doesn't filter this gritty setback. The reader is there, with Jessica emotionally and physically, through every second of her torment. I didn't have time to read this when I did, but I made the mistake of peeking at the prologue, and well, I didn't put it down until I finished it. The love scenes are beautifully written, Kellan has a kind of boyish charm, and Jessica has an inner strength and wit that makes a wholly admirable heroine. I highly recommend this tragic romantic novel, especially if you're a fan of Barbara Elsborg's STRANGERS.