PamGodwin

PamGodwin

A Love by Any Measure - Killian McRae In general, I don't like historical romance, but I'm damn glad I checked out this one. So many things can pierce through the heart of love and destroy it. Jealously--especially in stories like this one--is the most painful weapon, and it seldom misses its target. I felt this wound lance open when August brought Maeve to England. The depth of the blow was agonizing as it became clear the kind of role Maeve would have to play to stay with August. Betrayal, uncertainty, humiliation, and the damned British decorum...these were just a few things knotting up my insides as the story unfolded. Being a linear thinker, I struggled with how KM scrambled the past and present. I had to make an effort to remember dates so I could keep track of which time period I was in. I don't see the advantage in taking the scenes out of chronological order, but by the second half, it no longer mattered. The tension and action in the conclusion was brilliant. I cheered, I cried, I chewed all my nails off. My favorite scene was in the jail at the end when Maeve asked the drunken inmate, "What did you steal?" He laughed lowly. "Time." My heart jumped to my throat and stayed there for days. This was my first McRae novel. Won't be my last.