PamGodwin

PamGodwin

Stolen - Shiloh Walker This romantic thriller kicked off with a threatening tone that promised enigmatic and sinister scenes ahead, and I was not disappointed. The premise, the malicious identity theft of the reclusive author and heroine, sustained a suspenseful and eerie sensation throughout which kept me wholly engaged. The more I understood this guarded heroine, the more I sympathized with her paranoia and confusion. I feared she may never recover if her memories fully surfaced. But she had Elliot and he adored her with absoluteness that might be considered unrealistic. He rolled with her every plan, conforming to her impulses regardless of the danger. Always along for the ride, his unconditional devotion wasn't enough for me to subscribe to his compliance. His character was just too...flawless. Especially after he dropped everything to follow her, risked his life for hers, only to be dumped in the end. Still, he pursued her magnanimously, allowing for the HEA. That said, one of the compelling aspects of SW's writing is how she places you in the mind of this complicated and damaged heroine. Bit by intricate bit, she removes the layers to reveal why the heroine behaves the way she does. Additionally, the love scenes were appropriately placed and well written, and the ominous undertone satisfied my love for dark and tormented stories. ***ARC by courtesy of Random House via NetGalley in exchange for honest feedback.***