PamGodwin

PamGodwin

Best Laid Plans - Elaine Raco Chase Nostalgia is what led me to this 80's romance. I miss the era of curvy figures and hair out to here. This is a simple, innocent, push-and-pull love story between friends that occasionally shines due to flirty interactions and characterizations provided through flashbacks. As a rule, I loathe flashbacks, but these were brief, and without them the story wouldn't have had much character context. This book is the perfect constitution of detail for fashion designers or interior decorators, regardless of the era. There are pages and pages dedicated to the description of clothing and furniture. But for the general romance reader, I don't think it meets modern expectations. Ms Chase devoted more words to inanimate objects than character attributes. The writing overall was skillful, however, I was put off by the disembodied appendages. The hand did this. The eye rolled this way. The lips tilted. Phrasing the action beats this way, losing the pronouns, just made me feel more disjointed from the characters. The result: a story that could have been better laid, wound up only kind of.