PamGodwin

PamGodwin

Accidentally on Purpose (Accidentally on Purpose, #1) - L.D. Davis The moral is: Never sleep with a man whom you (and everyone you know) regularly refers to as The Dick. Seriously, big effing clue!This is a disturbing look at the unfavorable side of sexual obsession from the viewpoint of a victim in denial. No one in this book can be accused of doing anything inventive and intelligent. All of the characters are tailored to be reactionary, uninformed witnesses and/or participants in this crudely-functioning relationship. There are no heroes. Luke brings an edge to the nice-attorney-down-the-hall role, but I found him too...tolerant. The dark, irresistible-and-equally-repulsive dickhead Kyle is chillingly warped. And the victim, Emmy, is layer after layer of frustration and stupidity. But this is where Ms Davis' writing prevailed. She doesn't begin the story by telling the reader Emmy's bad choices are the reason she's faded into a hollow shell. Rather, she forces us to live every painful detail of this wilting transgression, horrible decision after horrible decision, showing exactly how this praiseworthy woman becomes a shattered screw-up.This unyielding examination of the battered Emmy ends as another one of those angsty romances where the leading lady toys with indecision, insecurity, and infidelity. The characters are far from perfect. Even the HEA felt twisted and stained. But I think that's the point. In the fallout of abuse and obsession, the reader will likely be coping with the choices Emmy made. But Emmy's deep dissatisfaction with herself is quite lucid and heart-breaking, which riled a mercy I didn't realize I was capable of having for her. The emotional assault alone makes this book a recommended read.