PamGodwin

PamGodwin

Shadowfever - Karen Marie Moning Book 5 in the Fever series swoops in with talons unsheathed and takes no prisoners, the reader included in that extensive list of battle-weary captives. You'll fight fang and claw, chewing up the pages just to imbibe the very essence of Barrons, the enigmatic man-beast who's captured Mac's attention. At one point, Mac decides:We are matched. Fascinating. I am his equal. My, what a creature I’ve become.What creature that is, we may never know. But not knowing won't stop you from swooning.When you know who I am. Let me be your man.Mac may unearth who he is, but may never discern what he is. Does it matter? There are so many possible conclusions and KMM is a master at driving you down every suppositional road, pointing you toward every hypothetical outcome...but the real one! Mac, in all her renditions of self, discovers who she really is without losing her most central part. She demonstrates it best with this reminder: I nodded, lower lip trembling. I could hunt monsters. I could have sex with men who turned into beasts. I could kill in cold blood. And Daddy could still make me cry just by believing in me.The characterization and imagination was out this world till the very last page. It's hard not to give a perfect rating to this larger than life finale, for it is a flight of unfathomable fantasy. It has enough heart-pounding mystery and do-it-or-die-trying attitude to earn itself a place on countless bookshelves. Problem is, it drags at the most needful moments. Even in the eclipse of the climax, the narration feels over-inflated. Or maybe my patience is just under-practiced. Still, this series is a worthy departure from the mass of wham-bam-keep-em-spread urban fantasy romances out there. Mac and Barrons may not ride off into the sunset (perhaps her suggestion that they fly off on Hunters into the moon comes true). No matter how it ends, you'll be at peace with the why and the who.