6 Followers
28 Following
PamGodwin

PamGodwin

Taking Chances (Taking Chances, #1) - Molly McAdams This book has lots to offer: a smart plot, a triangular shredding of hearts, and a touching collection of strangers who become so familiar that they form an endearingly tight family. The downfall of this tragic story rests solely on the shoulders of Harper, the weak female lead, and the cruelty she inflicts with her naivety. For all the mistakes she makes--sharing her boyfriend's bed while sleeping with his roommate, avoiding accountability with the guy she slept with, running away for two days from the guy who's benevolently forgiven her unforgivable betrayal--these passive behaviors can be overlooked if she has some redeeming quality to make up for it. But I couldn't find anything likable about her. Yet when she walks into a room, men fall at her feet. It's mind-boggling. Then there's the event that resolves the plot's core conflict. There's an easy and shocking way out of this love triangle and McAdams takes it. It's a classic example of deus ex machina. The convenience of it is a bitter pill, one you will chew on for the remainder of the book. The story resolves itself 65% in, stakes settled, mission accomplished. So reading the remaining 35% of the book, which is just an anticlimax of wrapping up loose ends, draws out like one long gratuitous epilogue. Boring! Still, the daring nature of the climax is entrancing. I read the first half in one sitting and would recommend for that reason alone. Note: While the characters are college age, this is not YA. The number of sex scenes compares to an adult romance novel.