PamGodwin

PamGodwin

Beneath This Man (This Man, #2) - Jodi Ellen Malpas Teasing the boundaries of so-bad-its-good territory, the This Man sequel is a bevy of reechoing melodrama, all of it belabored and unjustified. Jesse says yes. Ava says no. Jesse counts. Three.Ava stands firm. She means it this time.Two.Oh, but he's gorgeous.One.Ava falls on his cock, screaming yes.Jesse fucks her.Put this on Repeat. Loop it twenty times. That is the essence of this book. Ava is an unreliable narrator. Nothing she thinks or says can be trusted. The author might have chosen this narrative mode in an attempt to deceive us, but the result is pure torture and in no way entertaining.Jesse and Ava are enablers. She enables his controlling power plays. He enables her wimpy pliability. They're so wrong for each other, I didn't want them to stay together. There's a small character redemption around 85%, but I run away from this mania convinced their relationship is doomed...which is not the intent of this love story.You may not mind the desperate one-way ride into Crazy Town, but the plot elements are not fresh, nor is the writing polished. This is the kind of book you'll relate to if you love romance for its contrived drama and angst filled sex scenes, rather than its literary qualities, inventiveness, or escapism.