PamGodwin

PamGodwin

Giving Up the Ghost (A 13 Shades of Red Novel) - S.A. Price,  Stella Price This story has a lot going for it: ghosts, demons, sexy rock stars, groupies, and a ballsy heroine. A unique and brazen tale, it's a ghoulish carnival on a tour bus. But there's nothing spooky or hair-raising here. The paranormal elements never dip below a peripheral view. There's no explanation for the supernaturals, no mention of how many there are in this fictional world, yet all but one member of the band are "special". There's no otherworld-building. You just have to accept that everyone has a weird name and an even weirder power. Saffron is a take-no-shit heroine, but you might find her stoicism hollows her emotional core, leaving her somewhat flat. Still, her immunity to jealousy and hurt feelings is often admirable. The first half is a delightfully sexy read, one I couldn't put down. It builds and builds then...fizzles. There's a thin listlessness about the climax. The characters could've been yawning through it. But the plot as a whole is a brilliant concept, breaking uncharted ground and shoving cliches aside with its feisty characters. I really wanted to give it four stars, but the profusion of grammatical issues was a weary distraction. If it was edited, I would recommend it for paranormal/rock star romance lovers.