PamGodwin

PamGodwin

Sins & Needles  - Karina Halle All the buzz over this series is profusely justified, owed to a unique and magnetic plot, featuring an equally charismatic heroine.The highs and lows are so consuming, you'll lose yourself in the story. Reading it is a demanding workout, as if you've driven for days to some unknown destination. At the end, your muscles are atrophied. Your throat is dry. You're hungry. You want relief. But you might not get it. In fact, your mind might revolt when you discover the final destination.Impossibly good, the writing has a steadiness to style and craft. The flashing narrative presses on between "Then" and "Now". The sex scenes are infrequent but graphically well-written. The relationships are complex and linger in the mind. (And I'll admit, while I've been committed to Javier since the novella prequel, the ending made me want to switch sides. Almost. So fucking heartbreaking.)This is a road trip, for sure, but a meritorious one. It mostly succeeds through the depth of its lead characters: Ellie, Camden, and Javier. KH's direction is imaginative. Her attention to detail results in clarity and appreciation with regard to the obstacles confronted by her broken heroine. Ellie makes some terrible decisions, but she accepts retaliation against her as well as she dishes it. Her openness and moxie makes her a champion you can cheer.Like an experienced con-artist, this book knows when to be sneaky and when to rush in. It's one of the best stories I've read this year, and I'm on pins and needles awaiting the next installment in the series.