PamGodwin

PamGodwin

Unteachable - Leah Raeder This book "glowed ultraviolet inside" like whirly pinwheels, spraying neon sparks of intense emotion in every direction. First-person narrator, Maise, recites her story in a staccato-like ballad. Abrupt incomplete sentences. Blips of thoughts and action beats. The writing boasts a blatant arty feel, like a fringe indie-film, flickering a stroboscope of under-the-breath meaning and nonconformity. That said, the execution is not confusing or pretentious. Rather it forces you to perceive every stimulus until you become one with Maise, breathing in her life, taking up space in her heart.It's beautifully written, personifying the weather and the landscape until every atmospheric particle becomes a molecular and literary melding with the sentiment of the characters in-scene."I want you," he whispered into my hair, and a million filaments of electricity raced across my scalp. "But I want to know you. I don’t just want a hookup."The evocative prose might often feel like an acid trip. It illuminates the five senses to dizzying levels, but the journey is painstakingly clear. Forbidden love. Is it love because it's forbidden? Or is it forbidden because it's love? This quandary torments Maise and Evan from the first page till the last."You are so alive, Maise. You are so here, so present in the moment. You’ve taught me that happiness is possible now, not in some distant future."This might be compared to Colleen Hoover's Slammed with regard to the prohibited relationship, but that's where the similarity ends. These protags are admirably mature, accepting, and a lot more jaded. "Nobody knows how to be a grown-up. We’re all just pretending for each other. It takes some people their entire lives to figure out what you already know."It's an exquisite account of slides from lust into love, from fear into courage, from hopeless to hopeful. The sex scenes are some of the most arousing in the genre. It's refreshing to read a book that can take all the usual elements in a romance and twist them in such a way to make it so completely singular and unforgettable. And the ending has no equal. I'm still shaking from the state it left me in."In retrospect, you know all the answers. You know the shadowy throes of your heart."