PamGodwin

PamGodwin

Wanderlust

Wanderlust - Skye Warren From the first introduction, the anti-hero is too good-looking and violently compelling to be dismissed, but not dangerous enough to be worthy of outright fear. You'll predict his backstory before it's revealed, but that's okay. It'll just make you all the more sympathetic.The plot is evocative in its narrative language and merciless showing. It often stands shoulder-to-shoulder with books in the horror thriller genre, but there's an undertone that assures you things will never get that bad. There's a lot of sex, most of it rape. In fact, you are led to believe that every man the heroine encounters will rape her. It's unbelievable, but I wasn't put off by it. What bugs me is the ending. The heroine never reveals her abusive history. I looked forward to the anti-hero's reaction to the events of her life--including some things that happen to her after she meets him--yet this isn't included in the conclusion. Additionally, the anti-hero's failed profession doesn't fit his character. I won't spoil it by going into detail, but his profession would have led him to be more of a counselor or confidant, naturally asking her questions about her life. He just seems too consumed with himself to bother. Still, the story is an unforgettable one and SW knows her craft. The writing is exquisite.