PamGodwin

PamGodwin

This Man (This Man, #1)

This Man (This Man, #1) - Jodi Ellen Malpas If the sight of a Saint Andrew's cross makes you run away gasping and choking on sobs, you'll probably like the narrator, Ava. If you're more familiar with or open to kink, I don't recommend this first book the This Man series. I wouldn't rate a book on this though. And it wasn't even the mess of punctuation issues that had me cringing. The problem is Ava's weak character. In Jesse's words: "Ava, you’re the most frustrating woman I’ve ever met." Fucking hell, that's an understatement. She's nails-on-a-chalkboard naive. She's a liar, a coward, and avoids anything resembling confrontation and communication. And she's miserable. Jesse persistently calls her and she's loathes it. He stops calling her for four days, and she loathes that too. She's so miserable about him not calling, she wallows in a recovery party. A party he shows up to, and big surprise, his presence makes her miserable. The only conflict in this book is the fact that it's impossible to make Ava happy. Her conviction about Jesse is fabricated from her consistent misunderstandings. There's no baggage, no external conflict. The truth behind the Manor, Sarah, the pills...it's all so obvious. But not to Ava. Bluntly put, she's TSTL. Quite opposite from her BFF, Kate, who is honest, charming and smart. Kate would have made such a better lead in this story. When situations make Ava suspicious, instead of confronting it, she runs. All the while bitching about it in her flustered mind. There are times when an interrogation might not have worked with Jesse. But she barely tried, always giving up too easily, proving that she had neither the desire nor ability to outwit him. Like the age thing. Why didn't she just swipe his driving licence while he slept? Or ask a friend or colleague? Oh. Because she doesn't think. She just whines. Ava: "'I said, goodbye.' The words carry an air of finality that I really do not mean." That's because she doesn't say anything she means. My grumbling heart bled for Jesse, only cementing my hate for Ava.I'd like to point out that I do not review books I don't like. Since I'm reviewing this, I admittedly liked it. But I wanted to love it. Jesse is an infatuated, intense, delicious man and his focus is narrowed solely on Ava from beginning to end. The sexual bond between these two is potent. But that's all there is. They don't talk. They don't get to know each other. They have sex. And a lot of it. But the sex scenes are written with perfection.